Thursday, November 15, 2007

Onions

Have Gege's family onion recipe in hand. Just got off the phone with mom...who I haven't told I'm revising the cookbook project just yet. I thought the recipe was from Lainey's family, but it's the other aunt. It's probably the easiest thing I'll make for Thanksgiving, basically just putting a bunch of peeled/parboiled onions in a casserole pan, throwing over a sauce of melted butter and sugar and cooking them for as long as possible--about 1 1/2 hours. Mom and I had an interesting back and forth about making ahead and reheating. She almost over abuses the make ahead concept. What's the point of getting the oven going twice, if there isn't a lot of heavy lifting to begin with? I'll go as far as getting the onions and sauce in the pan beforehand but will wait until Thursday to put in the oven.... she didn't like that idea.

Anyway, it will be my first "official" recipe test. Sure, I've cooked many of the cookbook recipes before, but not with the eye for testing and actually writing them out the way they should (or the way I think they should) appear in a cookbook.

No comments: