Saturday, November 17, 2007

Turkey Day Menu

  • Cranberry Goat Cheese Spread
    with crackers
  • Spiced Pecans
  • Cheese Crackers
    not Lainey's recipe I'll use in the cookbook, but a close second, because I have the dough on hand
  • 2 Herb-Rubbed Turkeys
    on 2 grills one gas, one charcoal, oh and brined overnight...
  • Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    not an ounce of butter is used in the making of these french style pomme de terres
  • Gege's Thanksgiving Onions
  • Giblet Gravy
  • Rummed Yams
    from my friend Liz, the most amazing yam side dish ever
  • Cranberry Sauce
    also serving canned cranberry gel--I love that shit
  • Pumpkin Pie
    w/ homemade whip cream, of course

The in-laws are bringing:

  • More starters
  • Stuffing
  • Green vegetable side dish
  • More pies
  • Bob's lasagna (it's a tradition the 3 sisters in-law roll their eyes at, but I condone)
  • Rolls
  • Lots of wine (I friggin hope so)

Oh, I'm also thinking of starting the afternoon off with vodka gimlets--just to get everyone in the mood. But really because I recently read Julie Powell's book (Julie/Julia Project) and I can't stop thinking about them.

My husband's 5 siblings who live in the area and their families are joining us... And I hope my friend Cathy who is flying in from New York to meet up with her Seattle-based beau will stop by for a drink or dessert...and maybe another Seattle holiday orphan when he gets off the air at 6. we'll see.

Believe it or not, I actually wanted to cook more of the menu, being the foodie control freak that I am (thanks mom)... but that's a little too obsessive. Mom did give me a great tip when I mentioned this desire of how she handles the situation of not getting to have everything she wants for Thanksgiving...(especially when other cooks are involved and insist on items such as green bean casserole). She says the week before/after Thanksgiving, she'll cook side dishes that aren't on the menu, so she can get her taste of them. What a great idea...sort of like a slow paced food marathon of your own personal holiday treats. I never knew she did this.

2 comments:

apt pupil said...

This looks delicious, especially because I'll be eating fondue. Sadly I think I'm going to miss gimlets and pie since the beau doesn't have a car right now and lives downtown. I don't think we'll be able to get there. But you never know. Good luck preparing. C

Julie said...

I love your stories. Im sure the recipes are great-since your mom is my favorite cook but I love your writing and the great family stories.