Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hullo World!

WOW! It's close to a year since my last post. I took a month off in January, proving that if you do anything for 21 days, it becomes a habit. I haven't done any blogging, any writing (unless you count the 100+ daily emails that stream through the Exchange server) or essentially any cookbook prep.

My one foray in the MMK cookbook project?
Back in October, I prepared Mom's 7 layer bean dip for a football party. Nothing like watching the Seahawks (and all other local sports teams these days) receive an ass-kicking. Good times! Finding a recipe for the ubiquitous 7 layer bean dip is probably one of the easiest things and my siblings should be able to do this on their own. But it deserves inclusion in the cookbook, because it is so Mom. I gussied the recipe up and made sure each layer is a little more homemade, a little less canned. Added things like chipotle powder (instead of chili powder, which is probably instead of an MSG laden taco seasoning mix). It was delish. So to you cookbook recipients (aka family members), you won't be seeing Mom's standby in it's original form. But a version of it you will see. It just won't be same ole 7 layer bean dip that you see in the grocery store aisles.

What I've been up to in lieu of blogging:
I've been cooking here and there. It ebbs and flows. Been busy volunteering with the PCC Cooks program. I've learned to make gnocchi, whole wheat bread, Pranee's amazing Thai delights, gluten free treats and more. I'm a glorified dishwasher, sometime prep cooker, free class taker and left-over gatherer. Though it pays the mortgage, my day job is no longer fun and PCC Cooks has become an avenue of pleasure.

I've also been working too hard, played lots of golf April thru Sept (I proudly hit my first hole-in-one AND advanced to the EWGA semi-finals), watched my husband lose his job and the radio industry plummet (like many other aspects of our economy), been through too many stressful changes in my own job to count, and made it through an intense political season that had a dream of an outcome.

When it came right down to it, blogging or other computer activities were about the last thing I've wanted to do after 8-10 hour days in front of a screen. Well, that's a little white lie. I have been a tad addicted to Facebook. But that's an easy and quick comment and a fabulous way to stay connected with old friends when I feel so far away out here in the upper left hand corner of this country.

After a reading with a name I can't recall, let alone pronounce (I believe it's an astrology-numerology-chakra ish hybrid) from my sister last spring, I learned that I might not be the best at completing/sticking with projects. True AHA moment. Though I probably knew that was an issue, hearing her speak the words confirmed my fate.

My pledge:
Therefore, I commit to a reasonable goal: one blog post a week. See, I'm now good until Dec 1st. How hard was that?

I also need to come up w/ a reasonable amount of time dedicated weekly or monthly to the cookbook...let me think on that one.

Then by end of February I'll come up with a third goal: cookbook self-publication date.

Any small amount of readers I may have accumulated by now have scattered to other parts of the blogosphere. But then again, I'm really doing this for me and to motivate me to create that damn family cookbook.

3 comments:

ricewp said...

Your family cookbook sounds like a great idea. I created a wonderful family cookbook using Family Cookbook Project and I could not be happier with how easy it was to get everyone in my family to contribute recipes and then have our family cookbook printed. Not only do we have a printed cookbook, but are recipes are online so it is easy to email them to friends that don’t have the cookbook available to them.

A family cookbook is something everyone can enjoy for many, many years!

MMD said...

Thanks Bill. A key task is to figure out the format and I'm aware there are some online options.

I had been planning on the do it your self with software from Adobe, but will prowl around the other options to see if somehting fits my needs. So I'll check this site out for sure.

apt pupil said...

There you go!