Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Burgers

A few weeks ago, I commented that Buckley's and Palace Kitchen were on my short list of venues that can properly cook burgers to temperature.

My husband and I used to go out for burger night once a month. We stopped doing that a while ago. But in our adventures, we both were disappointed in many our informal "taste tests". One joint (which actually thinks they are an upscale restaurant) wouldn't even cook their burgers less than medium well, even though doing so is not in violation of the Washington State health code assuming fair warning is duly noted. Perhaps we shouldn't have started with the Palace, which I think of as my burger mecca. Anyone around this neck of the woods knows that Tom, ET, Sean and staff create more than just burgers at Palace, but boy do their burgers rock.

Since my Buckley's post, we've found one more. The Pig and Whistle's burgers over in Greenwood sure stood out. It was just what we needed on a Friday night after a busy work week and and had some downtime from the holiday madness. Not only were the burgers grilled to medium rare, they were damn tasty too.

So, I've started a new feature to make up for my dissing. If we taste a burger that is not only tasty, but also properly cooked, the restaurant name is added to my burger list over on the right. See for yourself. Oh and even though the focus on the list is primarily Seattle, I do reserve the right to add burgers from my hometown and other favorite haunts across the country.

Don't be shy, let us know who you think serves great burgers.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi~

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. My daughter is very lucky to have such a great job at Zazu. Sounds like we have a lot in common~I too read more cookbooks than I cook. And Todd, of course. Interesting concept for your blog, with good photos too.

cheers!

JCHaywire said...

Well, get your keesters over here to Japan, Amy. Hamburger is eaten fresh here if you want it, with a raw egg broken over it.
Not my taste, necessarily, but I have tried it.
Cheers,
Jonathan